New Photovoltaic Wire and Solar Cable Enhance Reliability in Solar Applications
Elizabeth, NJ, October 22, 2009 – Alpha Wire’s new solar cables and photovoltaic wire are designed for the harsh environments of solar energy applications—the hot and cold of climate extremes, ozone and UV radiation, moisture, oil, and direct burial. The cables use a specially formulated PVC jacket to provide years of reliable service by withstanding the potential environments without failing or degrading.
“Solar applications demand wire and cable with maximum reliability and flexibility,” said Konstantin Khitrik, Product Manager at Alpha Wire. “With downtime being unacceptable and the application environment being severely challenging, we now offer wire and cable specifically tailored to the solar market. The new PV wire and solar cable both complement and enhance an already strong portfolio of solar products.”
Available in a wire range from 14 AWG to 2 AWG, the photovoltaic wires come in two versions to meet either UL 4703 PV wire/TÜV 2 PFG 1169 requirements or UL 4703 PV wire requirements. UL/TÜV photovoltaic wires are made with low-smoke, zero-halogen (LSZH) materials which do not emit toxic gases when burned. The UL PV wire products use a cross-linked polyethylene insulation and PVC jacket.
Solar cables, in sizes from 18 AWG to 12 AWG and conductor counts from 3 to 9, are available shielded or unshielded. The TC-ER and MTW-rated cables feature a tough and abrasion-resistant jacket to provide robust performance for years.
Both the PV wire and solar cable are designed specifically for solar environments—they are sunlight and oil resistant and withstand temperatures as low as -40°C and high as +90°C. In addition, the solar cables meet requirements for direct burial without conduit.
The wire and cable are available for quick shipping in both large and small put-ups.
Part of a Market-Specific Solution Set
The new wire and cable form the core of Alpha’s portfolio of products for solar energy. The portfolio includes a number of existing products well suited to solar applications:
• Series M and P control cables, ideal for stationary tray application with light to moderate flexing, are available in conductor counts to 65 and wire sizes from 18 AWG to 8 AWG.
• Type 492 slit loom tubing protects cable, simplifying its installation. A full-length slit allows the tubing to be slid over cable for easier breakouts and flexible routing.
• Liquid-tight flexible PVC tubing and fittings keep cables safe, dry, and protected.
• Solid bus bar wires, in sizes from 12 AWG to 6 AWG, meet the requirements of NEC 705.2 for panel grounding.
• FIT® heat-shrink tubing makes it easy to protect, organize, strain-relieve, and repair cables—with a range of shrink ratios and materials for any application environment.
For additional information, contact Alpha Wire at 800-52-ALPHA (522-5742) or click here to learn more about our solar product offering.
About Alpha Wire
For over 80 years, Alpha Wire has designed and manufactured industry-leading wire, cable, and tubing products for factory automation, packaging, automotive, alternative energy, and other technically advanced applications. Beyond giving our customers the cables they trust for quality and reliable high performance, we give them the committed service they deserve. We help customers find the best possible solutions to production and manufacturing challenges with small put-ups, logistical excellence, and broad inventory for dependable, same-day shipment.