history

A Brief History

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2015 by Kimberly Versaw

Alpha Wire was founded in New York City in 1922 and in 1964 took its business operations to Elizabeth, NJ.  For over 9 decades Alpha Wire has pioneered cable and wire applications.  What began as a business of making wire strengtheners for the inside of ladies hats back in 1922, has evolved into an expansive product portfolio that now exceeds 30,000 items.  The 1930’s took us into radio, the 40’s WWII with aircraft wire where we replaced rubber wire coatings with plastic, and the 50’s brought us into TV and hook-up wire.  In 1963, heat-shrink tubing was introduced and shortly after in 1964, coaxial cable was born.  The 1970’s were a growing time for Alpha Wire as we added our international location in the UK and the computer generation began introducing Alpha Wire to the interconnect and industrial automation markets.  In 1981, Xtra-Guard® was developed and is still sold today as one of our most popular product lines.  Our EcoGen family was introduced in 2009 with EcoWire and following a couple of years later, EcoCable, EcoFlex, and EcoCable Mini.  Our product and manufacturing capabilities flourished in 2014 when we acquired Coast Wire and Plastic Technology.  The Coast™ Custom Cable line is now a part of the Alpha Wire portfolio.

Throughout the decades, our products have been used in some unusual and interesting applications such as the following:

  • Horse drawn buggies
  • High speed trains
  • Mountain climber gear
  • The Grateful Dead studio
  • Space projects such as the Challenger, Apollo 3, Mercury 1, and Gemini 2
  • The Tomahawk Missile
  • Theme parks such as Six Flags Great Adventure and Walt Disney World
  • Gym Bags
  • Fishing lures
  • …and much more

Share:

Add your comment

 
 

 

Subscribe

Archive

AlphaWire